Thursday, November 16, 2006

It's Because They Can ...

It's the 3rd Thursday in November so ... out comes the crap. You think I'm kidding?

Every year, on exactly the same day, the first bottles of Beaujolais Nouveau are uncorked. The grapes were only harvested a mere 6 weeks prior and people go nuts over it. Tomorrow morning, many offices will be devoid of workers as hundreds of people have arranged to take the day off in advance ... and hundreds more will be ringing in sick.

Just the process of making the stuff is enough to put you off drinking it; carbonic maceration followed by pasturisation ... smashing.

It's rough stuff and always reminds me of Sarson's vinegar. Consumed neat, Sarson's would probably pip Beaujolais Nouveau in a winos drink-off. I do my utmost to avoid this revolting wine but, naturally, chefs all over the place start making stuff with it; sauces, pâtés ... anything. I had a very enjoyable onglet for lunch but it was spoilt by the bitter vinegar taste of bloody Beaujolais Nouveau.

The release of this wine means that all those who've worked in the fields and in the plants can relax - the season is over. However, I cannot see the point of drinking this crap. They'd do better filling car batteries with it. In fact, Charles de Gaulle once said: "I have tried to lift France out of the mud. But she will return to her errors and vomitings. I cannot prevent the French from being French."

Nicely said. Pass the bucket.

Stu

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wine is just horrid!I would NOT do well in Fraunce (your pronunciation)..

I do drink American beer, but thats about 60% water so I consider it healthy. :)

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 7:06:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home