Thursday, January 25, 2007

That Is Illogical, Captain ...

This cold weather is causing merry hell with all forms of motorised transport ... and it hasn't even started snowing - yet.

In recent months, my little 125cc scooter has been working fine. Firing first time and giving a good return for its money. Last night I was out of town and so it was left in an on-street parking bay. The temperature plummeted. At 07h45 and as good as gold, she started first time and off we went on our 45-minute trip into the centre of town. However, four hours later she wouldn't give so much as a cough when I pressed the electric starter. I kept on trying just in case she fired, but no. The battery finally gave up the ghost, drained and exhausted.

So, straight onto the insurance company who sent round the 'depanneur', the breakdown people. I related this morning's story to the mechanic as jumped down from his cab. He took the keys and tried to start her up. The engine whined, all the energy had been supped. "Of course it won't start", he began "the battery's flat."

Well, f**k me! Really? I wonder how that could have happened.

I sighed a really big sigh and looked his in the eye ... "Well of course the battery's flat", I replied "I've just spent the last 15 minutes trying to start the f'ing thing so, voila, that will account for the flat battery." He looked at me somewhat puzzled. I don't think that he was expecting anyone with half a brain to have figured it out. He 'jumped' the battery and I rode off into the freezing Paris air. If it's starts next time I'll be sodding lucky but if not, at least I'll see my newest best mate again ...

Answer me this, what happened to bikes with kickstarts?

Stu

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have this then you could kickstart it all you liked !

http://www.sidewalkerscooters.com/gelb.jpg

Thursday, January 25, 2007 8:11:00 pm  
Blogger Stu said...

Paul,

Cop this:

http://faculty.cua.edu/johnsong/hitchcock/images/stills/strangers/st-punchb1.jpg

Friday, January 26, 2007 6:34:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my bike has a kickstart. don't know what you're on about. get a proper bike.

t

Friday, January 26, 2007 11:12:00 am  
Blogger Stu said...

Yes 't', but your bike is a poxy 50cc. Why would I want one of those?

Friday, January 26, 2007 11:16:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home