Tuesday, February 13, 2007

They Don't Make 'Em Like That Anymore ...

I met a dear old soul over the weekend: my beloved's Grandmother who's aged 80+. We paid her a short visit over the weekend and as it was my introductory trip, I was on my best behaviour having washed behind my ears and curbing my language. In her bedroom was a rather splendid looking wardrobe, dating back from the year dot. She decided that upon her death, she would like my beloved to have it.

The story behind the wardrobe is as romantic as was the old lady in her former years.

In the 1920's, just before Grandma was born, her father owned a small wood, out in the countryside. He, himself, was married and soon began producing children. He declared that once his daughter was old enough and had found herself a husband, he would chop down an oak tree of his choice, and with the top class wood, build the newly married couple a wedding present; a wardrobe. Over 80 years later, this sturdy and beautifully crafted piece of furniture now stands in the old lady's bedroom. Neither time nor tide unable to dampen its splendour.

Although we don't all own tracts of land, it's rather a nice story, no? These days, it's more of a case of "Ikea hand-me-downs".

Stu

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful, truly romantic. Now to find myself a French misses who has a rich, land owning father...

Friday, February 16, 2007 9:57:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home